ITIL® Intermediate Lifecycle - Service Operation (SO)
The ITIL Service Operation Certificate is a free- standing qualification but is also part of the ITIL intermediate lifecycle stream, and one of the modules that leads to the ITIL Expert Certificate in IT Service Management.
The course covers the management-level concepts and core information of the supporting activities within service strategy, but not specific details about each of the supporting processes. It includes the following topics:
The target group of the ITIL Intermediate Qualification: Service Operation Certificate include, but are not restricted to:
- Business managers and executives
- Business consultants
- Business process owners, program and project managers
- IT executives, managers and team-leaders
- IT consultants, IT assessors, auditors and risk managers
- IT process owners
Service Operation covers the coordination and carrying out of activities and processes required to deliver services at agreed levels to business users and customers.It also covers the ongoing management of the technology and environment that is used to deliver and support these services.
Candidates can expect to gain competencies that will help them to maintain business satisfaction and confidence in IT through effective and efficient delivery and support of services at agreed levels. It further will enable candidates to minimise the impact of service outages an a day to day basis and ensure that those authorised to use services can use services they are entitled to.
- Introduction to Service Operation
- Service Operation Principles
- Event Management
- Incident Management
- Request Fulfilment
- Problem Management
- Access Management
- Common operational activities
- The Service Desk
- Operations Management
- Technical & Application Management
- Operation roles & structures
- Technology considerations
- Implementing Service Operation
- Challenges, risks and CSFs
The formal course is based on a set of lectures supported by slides, student handbooks, exercises and sample examination questions. This course consists of student manuals that expand on the topics covered in the lectures. Students should use this material to prepare for the exam.
To be eligible for the examination leading to the ITIL Service Operation, the candidate must fulfil the following requirements:
- Have undertaken at least 24 contact hours approved training.
- Hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management.
- Have at least 2 years' professional experience working in IT service management.
- Completed a minimum 12 hours of personal study by reviewing the course material provided.
- It is recommended that candidates have experience of working in the service management capacity within a service provider environment, with responsibility for at least one of the Service Operation processes outlined above.
- A maximum of 16 participants will be allowed to attend a classroom course.
The courses do not by default include the exam, the exam can be booked with the course or separately at a later stage.
The exam consists of 8 multiple-choice, scenario-based, gradient scored questions. Each question will have 4 possible answer options, one of which is worth 5 marks, one which is worth 3 marks, one which is worth 1 mark, and one which is a distracter and achieves no marks.
Duration: Maximum 90 minutes for candidates in their home language (if available - 120 minutes if the paper is in your second language. The use of a dictionary will be allowed).